OSGeo-Board Re: Licenses; was: something else

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Mon Feb 13 13:16:03 PST 2006

There may be some middle ground here. The bigger issue is that we
have a tools that integrates the community and that many communities
already have tools.

Here is the easy part. As far as code through subversion, issues
through project tracker, and email lists, the site is as good as it
gets and meets the need. Where this breaks down is in viewing you
'live' documentation and docs through the wiki/plone/doxygen servers.

I want to say that we can just pick one of these, but I am already
hearing that compromise is not an option at the moment. So, I suggest
we still have someone look into a choice for a foundation supported
wiki/plone/doxygen server, but just let the existing projects link to
their existing sites. We can put enough information into each
project's osgeo.org home pages to link offsite and provide key
navigation.

This is exactly what is done at java.net and many others, so it is
not rocket science and actually pretty normal. In the other
communities, Wiki was easy because there really was not a mature
solution in any direction. The only difference here is that you are
causing the general population to learn multiple tools to participate
in more than one project. You are also committing to supply the
service at least to the project you are running.

The migration to a single tool should be looked at as a longer term
goal. If the right one is chosen, projects should migrate to it
naturally. As Brian has said, Collabnet is not asleep about such
tools and will be supporting an integrated system in the future that
could be acceptable by everyone.

As the board, you are empowered to make a decision. Like all good
problems put to a board without instant answers, note the work around
and please form a committee.

Daniel Brookshier
Community Manager
214-207-6614