[OSGeo-Board] Re: OSGeo-Board Local Chapters, Translation, etc

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Wed Feb 15 07:35:14 PST 2006

Arnulf,

We all like the Wiki. I think we as a group need to understand exactly
what you are saying in your other email about motion and visibility -
every link to the site adds to it and the foundation's' brand equity,
which impacts a number of things, not the least of which is how much
money we will  raise.

So putting more of the social aspects of the foundation on another site
is counterproductive to this. For the exact reasons you cite below, I
suggest we use the Wiki for collaborative document editing but keep
conversations in mailing lists that get archived and indexed on the
osgeo site. Otherwise the value of the site is greatly diminished.

I can tell we're not super-thrilled with the technical aspects of the CN
architecture and some other things, but it works and it's paid for. If
we have nothing but announcements on it, and discussions all over the
place, the foundation's site loses its focus and value. Otherwise our
visibility will be diffused, as per your other email.

Motion: I propose that the FOSS Wiki be the document editing environment
of choice but that we stick with the lists and the CN infrastructure for
other social activities, otherwise, the foundation won't have a focus.

BTW I said FOSS and didn't think of Frank Zappa. After a day at the OSBC
where this term was widely used (it was not a year ago BTW), I guess I'm
getting used to it!

Gary