OSGEO Terms of Service

Rich Steele Rich.Steele at autodesk.com
Thu Feb 16 16:58:46 PST 2006

Hi Board,

I traded emails and (closed format!) drafts of the CollabNet terms of service today with CN's lawyer.  They have agreed to all of my changes.  The summary of the changes is:

- The terms of service will no longer be a mandatory click through upon registration.  Rather, they will be on a separate page that gets linked to from footer text on every site page.

- The terms of use are significantly shorter, with redundancies and overkill sections removed.  Obviously there is still a bunch of legalese in there, but I feel this is necessary to protect the foundation's interests, and besides CN insists on this as the bare minimum for providing their services.  Nevertheless, Arnulf will be glad to know that we've deleted references to "Acts of God" and the prohibition on users "providing instructions on how to assemble bombs and other weapons" (no, I'm afraid I am not kidding).

- I have separated the CN infrastructure license terms from the license terms governing the content on the site.  The content is either the software, which I have indicated is offered under the applicable OSI license, or other stuff like images, documentation, text, etc.  This content would be, unless otherwise indicated, offered under a Creative Commons free license.  This would be the default.  So, for example, if a project decided to use the GNU FDL for their documentation, this will work too, it just needs to be stated on that documentation.

- I added some language to protect the foundation from IP claims over materials submitted by users of the site.  That is, if you contribute stuff to the project by posting it to the OSGEO site, you grant the foundation a license to use that stuff in its projects.  This is really more of a backup since all committers will have to sign a contributor agreement.

Since Arnulf is so fond of Wikis, I've posted the revised Terms of Service there for your reading pleasure.

http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/OSGEO_Website_Terms_of_Service

If you want to see the diff, I'm afraid you'll have to look at the attached PDF (but hey, it was created with GNU Ghostscript 7.05 since I don't want to feed the Adobe $$ machine).

Daniel, there are some things in here that you and your team will need to implement on the technical side:  (i) eliminating the click through on registration; and (ii) we need to fix the Creative Commons language and link that you have on the current site.  Let's talk offline about the latter change as its more than I want to type in this already long email.

-Rich