[OSGeo-Board] Re: Wiki

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Feb 21 11:27:19 PST 2006

  >>  o We might consider making the wiki open for viewing and such only to
>>    logged in members of the web site.  This might be difficult since the
>>    wiki is not part of the CollabNet infrastructure.
>

> There have been different remarks on this issue. There are basically
> three technical options:
> * Anonymous editing
> * Account required, but can be created anonymously (current solution)
> * Account required, has to be created SysOps (~=moderated)
>
> Additionally individual pages can be "locked" from editing. This is not
> standard Wiki practice but might be a good idea for static information
> (as suggested above).
I like the barriers to contribution on this stuff being as low as
possible.  One should be able to clearly see that this is not 'official'
osgeo positions, but that there's lots of stuff going on and their
contribution is welcome.  Stress that working on stuff and contributing
ideas is open to all.  Hopefully as simple as signing up for a collabnet
account.

>> I am interested in learning what degree of integration we can achieve
>> with
>> the CN user login info with components that are not part of the CN
>> infrastructure.  Ideally I would like a "single login" to be able to
>> apply
>> to a variety of the foundation projects even when they are not using all
>> the CN stuff.  This may turn out to be impractical.
>

> Oh, don't we all dream of single sign on?
Yes, but I think for this it is super important.  Even if we just come
up with some hack to automatically add new account information from CN
to the media wiki, I think it could be worth investigating.  I'm
actually fine with different accounts to interact with different
projects' infrastructures ie report bugs in geotools or contribute to
docs on mapserver, but as CN and the wiki are the two main
infrastructures of the foundation I'd like to see a single sign on if
possible...

>> Overall though, I'm happy to turn this issue over to the web committee to
>> deal with, with the understand that the board asks them to somehow make
>> it clear to visitors that the wiki documents are not official policy
>> of the foundation by some appropriate means.
>

> +1 from Arnulf for the WebCommittee to deal with these issues
+1

Chris