[OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 23 12:51:34 PST 2006

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) wrote:
> Spatial data is somewhat special in this respect. I talked to Jimmy Wales
> Richard Stallman they think GNU FDL is good. Ward Cunningham is into CC,
> and says its cool for spatial data too obviously.
>
> I am not sure though. Daniel Faivre (camptocamp) is very actively
> promoting a license specially designed to fit spatial data backed by an
> active Canadian group, they call it PGL. I believe Jo has something up the
> sleeve too and OSM is also thinking in this line. All of them are highly
> interested in the OSGeo (well, dunno about OSM, they are sort of sleepy)
> and it might happen that the Foundation itself will be the body creating
> this special license. In the end this is one of the things that we came
> together to do here. What I want to say is that we do not have to choose
> from different licenses but maybe set out to create one.

Arnulf / Markus,

At one point I proposed that the requirement our software projects use
OSI approved licenses be written into the bylaws with the intent that it
would not be easy for a board to contemplate changing any "copyright assigned"
software to a non-OSI license.  That is, as a sort of limitation on the board
and the foundation.

Since we haven't worked out details of what license(s) are necessary best
for various kinds of "content" or spatial data, I would suggest we not try to
address this in the bylaws at this time.  As has been done, it is useful to
make clear in the bylaws that the OSI approval requirement is for software.

Certainly, I would like to see discussion about appropriate licenses for
web/educational/promotional materials and spatial data.  But there is not
yet much clarity on the topic.