[OSGeo-Board] [Fwd: Re: [Fundraising] Prospects of fundraising for an Exec Director..?]

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Tue Jul 18 09:45:08 PDT 2006

[trimmed to send to board only]

Dave said:

> Something we're collectively discovering is how difficult it can be to
> achieve all of this without a coordinating person dedicated
> to the effort.
>
> I sometimes think of OSGeo being a bit like a company without any
> full-time staff -- something that's hard for me to imagine
> being able to operate in a truly effective manner.

Amen.  We've seen a number of issues lately for which the decision
making process would be going much more smoothly if only there was an
Empowered Decision Maker to herd things along.  We've reached a point at
which part-time, spatially-distributed, volunteer-based efforts do not
seem to scale to the bigger visions we all share.

I am starting to see subtle warning signs on the horizon: grumblings
about our inability to move forward, questions about what the board has
actually done after a dozen meetings, etc.

We need to not lose traction!

I'd be happy to help, but I think this is really a board responsibility.

Let us announce the opening of an ED position as soon as possible.

-mpg