[OSGeo-Board] Copyright

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Jun 5 05:14:28 PDT 2006

On Mon, June 5, 2006 11:46, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at ccgis.de> wrote:
>> Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>> > Arnulf,
>> >
>> > It seems the following message already appears in the wiki edit page:
>> >
>> > Please note that all contributions to OSGEO are considered to be
>> > released under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 (see
>> > Project:Copyrights for details). If you don't want your writing to be
>> > edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it
>> here.
>> > You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it
>> > from a public domain or similar free resource. DO NOT SUBMIT
>> COPYRIGHTED
>> > WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION!
>> >
>> > Is that not sufficient?
>> >
>> > It is a bit odd that we consider wiki contents to default to GNU FDL
>> but
>> > the
>> > web pages to Creative Commons.  That might be worth fixing up.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>>
>> GNU FDL is the default of Mediawiki and nobody changed it. But this is
>> also Wiki :-) go here and find out which System Pages apply to fixing up
>> the oddity.
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Special:Allmessages
>>
>> Personally I wouldn't mind keeping the Wiki stuff under the FDL. Would
>> be an interesting job for legal guys to find out what this means to the
>> pages that we have developed in the Wiki and then copied to the web
>> site.
>>
>> The default copyright page just before hitting the save button does not
>> have any text yet.
>>
>> Arnulf.
>
> Arnulf, all,
>
> I am not familiar with Mediawiki installation, but I assume
> that only a Sysop can make such global change. In general,
> I would appreciate to make the copyright statements identical
> (main site/wiki) to avoid confusion - that's sort of "branding", too.
>
> thanks,
> Markus

Hi Markus,
I added you to the Sysop group so that you should be able to go ahead.
You, Frank and me are Sysops now, Benjamin and me additionally have
credentials for the WikiSysop user.

We have never defined how to manage Wiki operation as there is not really
much to do. If we need to formalize this someone should make a motion.

Best regards,
Arnulf.