[intl-discuss] Local Chapter Guidelines

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Jun 5 08:11:42 PDT 2006

On Fri, June 2, 2006 22:00, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Arnulf,

Sorry for messing up your nicely formatted email. To make it better
readable I moved to the discussion page of that article. This is the link:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Local_Chapter_Guidelines

> I reviewed the Local Chapter Guidelines wiki page at:
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Local_Chapter_Guidelines
>
> Generally I like it, but I have a few concerns / suggestions.
>
> 1) I don't specially see that a local chapter needs to have a voting
>     member of OSGeo involved.  We don't require this of projects, or
>     committees, so why local chapters?

it does not say 'voting' member, just that at least one of the local
chapter  must in one way or another regard herself as a member. This is so
obvious that we can just drop it.

Maybe this is a good time to pick up the thread that mpg has kindly
started some time ago and check out what became of membership in the
meantime:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Proposed_Membership_Rules

In my current understanding everybody hacking the Wiki or having an OSGeo
account can regard herself a member.

> 2) I think we need to imagine 2-3 "levels" of chapter.   The minimum
>     level might not have any "official" existance, just existing as a
> mailing
>     list and wiki pages.  This is roughly the same as the "working group"
>     discussed in the past.

This could be an interest group:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Interest_Groups
Or was this category intended for something else alltogether? Someone
could think something up for a working group or copy and paste from the
mailing list.

The rest is in the Wiki.

Best regards,
Arnulf