[OSGeo-Board] membership rules

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 5 09:03:04 PDT 2006

I think it should start to be discussed a bit more broadly as a topic
with the current membership - after all, it is about us :).  We need
some resolution on this so that everyone knows who/what they are.
IRC chats and the occasional email have referred to personal opinions
on the matter of who is a member, etc. but there really hasn't been a
good discussion or debate on this as far as I can tell.  In the
least, we could just plan to defer the topic until FOSS4G.

My main concern is that 'member' becomes meaningless when it means
everything or everybody.  I think this can be covered off by having
an 'associate member' category.  But I think we should just open the
membership to allow for an unlimited number of members, subject to
some mechanism like a current member must nominate, etc. and being
done with this debate :)

Members haven't really done anything special since they voted in the
board, so I am not seeing why it should be a closed number.  This
coupled with the board doing all the major decision making (eg not
through member voting) makes this approach seem safe.  Am I
forgetting anything?   I see other organisations bragging about the
number of members that it has, it would be nice to also do the same
for OSGeo.

My thoughts,
Tyler