Software Patents

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 30 11:11:23 PDT 2006

Folks,

One issue I think we may need to contemplate and take a position on at some
point is Software Patents in so far as they threaten our projects and
open source projects in general.   The following is a sort of decent review
of the topic currently in the news due to a couple of lawsuits affecting
open source organizations:

   http://technocrat.net/d/2006/6/30/5032

I will say that while I would personally prefer to see software patents
declared invalid worldwide, I think when the foundation takes a position on
it we ought to be more modest.  Something along the lines of our feeling that
software patents, if they exist, should have a high bar for "non-obviousness"
and that the patent office needs to take a much stricter approach to what
originally gets approved.

I think we have enough on our plate that we should not yet take on any sort
of advocacy role against software patents, but we might revisit the issue in
6-12 months.