OSGeo contact to MPG: Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 05:12:50 PST 2006

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hi All,
> I would like to contact the initiators of the "Berlin Declaration on
> Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities". In your
> opinion, would this be a task that the VisCom team
> (https://visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org/) could do on its own, should
> VisCom check back with the board? Hoe does this work?
>
> How could we word a letter of interest to the mgp (Max
> Planck-Gesellschaft, not Michael Gerlek... :-).
>
> This does not have to be decided in a hurry, take your time. Again: This
> would be great for collaborative editing in the Wiki - but in my opinion
> it possibly should not be that public right from the start.

Arnulf,

It is my opinion that the the Free Geopatial Data Project ought to be
leading such an effort.  This raises the issue that the Free Geospatial
Data Project is not yet officially formed.  Markus, perhaps you could
table a motion at the next meeting to form this project/committee?

I skimmed the Berlin Declaration and it certainly seems inline without
our own free geodata goals.

I certainly don't see any problem with anyone contacting the (other!) MPG
and establishing informal contact.  We should be somewhat cautious in
declarations of official support, referring such things to the board (after
drafting them in committee).