opening and organizing

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Mar 6 15:00:42 PST 2006

Hey all, so I've got a bit of feedback on OSGEO things.

People are having a hard time figuring out a) what's going on, and b)
how they can help out.

The first feedback came by way of Tyler, who had no idea what the board
has been up to.  We've been moving fast obviously, and making a lot of
decisions, but no one else has really known what's going on.

A nice thing to do would be perhaps a regular status update, on the
activities of the board.  If that's a bit much, we could simply point to
the minutes after each board meeting, just send an email after things
get posted.

The other feedback came by way of the GeoTools meeting today.  They were
asking for a guided tour on irc to show them around.  I think a much
better solution is to make a good page explaining such things.

At a minimum I think we need links to the projects/committees to be
involved in, the wiki (and how to sub to changes), and perhaps a howto
on working with the collabnet infrastructure.  A basic 'getting started'
page.  Ideally we could get it up soon and also send a 'welcome' message
to our new members, point them at it as how they can get involved.

I'd also like a place for members to post the paragraph about
themselves.  Ideally one could just fill out their collabnet profile
with a paragraph about themselves, but I see no way to do that (as seems
to be the case with most things I'd like to do in collabnet).  I'm happy
to throw up a wiki where members can update their information for now.

I have a free evening, so I could spend some time on a couple of wiki
pages.  But in general I think we need to write a bit more to the
discuss list, no one seems to really know what's going on.

best regards,

Chris