[OSGeo-Board] opening and organizing

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Mon Mar 6 20:31:00 PST 2006

Part of Tyler's confusion is perhaps the board compartmentalization.
You are moving quite fast and most of the conversation has happened
in the board list. By using the task list and making sure the right
people have access, the confusion might be reduced. The board might
consider also opening the board list up and creating a private list
for specific conversations.

The key to managing this as a community is to move a lot of work into
committees when possible. The goal over time should be to make the
board list a quiet place. It will be a while before that happens, but
that should be the plan.

In terms of a master list verses several. The tasks should be managed
by the team. Any conflicts or joint work should be handled by the
chairs or appointees. I'd say this is handled like a business, but is
not. Most are volunteers and I'm sure that even though this is part
of your job, dedicating 100% is not possible. Even I'm only supposed
to work half my time on this community. The fewer things we need to
focus on the better. The only challenge is ensuring that volunteers
are keeping up their end.

Daniel Brookshier
Community Manager
214-207-6614