[OSGeo-Board] Server Requirements for the OSGEO Reference Stack

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 10:13:21 PST 2006

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) wrote:
> Hi All,
> some thoughts about the server requirements.
>
> Is this a case of PiitWiSt! again (thats Finnish for 'Put it in the Wiki
> Stupid!')

Arnulf,

No doubt it would belong in the wiki.

I want to reply to your email, but I find I don't have a coherent reply
to offer.  I like the idea of a reference stack for demonstration purposes
but it seems like a lot of work to pursue in the short term.

I am dubious that it will have substantial bandwidth needs if it is only
doing what you have indicated.  I do think that it might be interested to
serve more datasets of interest.  Perhaps some reference datasets like
VMAP0, a world landsat mosaic or the "big blue marble" dataset from NASA.
If we do that bandwidth could become an issue.

I am very dubious about the load-balanced, replicated approach.  That's
a big project on it's own!  Nice to get there some day though.

I, personally, would be keener on getting a build-and-smoke-test server
going before the reference stack server.

PS. John Graham at the San Diego Supercomputer Center (I think I have that
right) might be a good contact if we want a high bandwidth university system
on which to do serious data serving.