The stack - what is it?

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 9 18:12:42 PST 2006

Could you guys give me some help?

I believe the table below enumerates most of the pieces of software
people need/want throughout the GIS ecosystem. I have a couple of
requests:

1)    If I'm missing something (i.e. more rows needed) or have misstated
something please let me know.

2)    Could you guys help me fill out the third column with G/FOSS
package/project names?

The discussion around build machines has me thinking about the "full
stack" mission of the OSGeo. I'd like to see what's doable in delivering
this entire stack.

Let's discuss the stack tomorrow at our meeting, time allowing.

Thanks,

Gary

Geographic Data Management

Database administration tools for managing data access by users, locking
of data during edit and maintenance of metadata.

Tabular Attribute Data Management

Software environment and capabilities for storing and managing database
attributes linked to map features in the GIS database. May involve use
of a vendor-proprietary system for attribute storage or a commercial
relational database management package.

GIS Data Import/ Export Utilities

Utility programs bundled with the GIS package for translation of GIS or
CAD data to or from another format, including common industry-standard
formats like DXF, SIF, DLG or SDTS.

GIS Data Entry and Editing

A range of interactive and batch processing functions for entry of map
data through such means as board digitizing, coordinate geometry entry
(COGO), scanning and heads-up digitizing, along with capabilities for
editing GIS data, performing error checking and resolution, map
rectification and transformation of coordinate systems and map
projections.

Map Design and Composition

Interactive capabilities for the design of map plots and displays,
automatic creation of thematic maps and legends, and modifying map
symbology and annotation for custom map displays.

Basic Geographic Query and

Analysis Functions

Basic tools for performing attribute or map-based queries and displays,
basic distance and area measurements, query and access to scanned
documents, buffer generation, polygon overlay operations and other query
and analysis functions.

Network Analysis

Spatial analysis operations based on linear networks (e.g., road or
pipeline systems), including such operations as shortest path tracing
and region allocation. Network analysis capabilities in GIS packages
often allow users to design network models based on attributes of
network segments.

Terrain and 3-D Data Processing

and Analysis

Capabilities for storing three-dimensional data normally in a grid or
triangular integrated network (TIN) format with functions for 3-D
analysis such as contour mapping, 3-D display, draping of map features
over a 3-D display, slope and aspect analysis, etc.

Raster Image Processing Capabilities

Capabilities for the manipulation and processing of raster images (e.g.,
digital aerial photos or orthophotography, satellite images), including
functions for the import and rectification of raw imagery, digital image
enhancement and automated classification of multi-spectral imagery.

Application Development Languages

Programming environment for customizing applications accessing software
functions provided by the package, including proprietary languages
included with the GIS software package or industry standard tools (e.g.,
C++, Visual Basic, Delphi) that may be used for application development.

Data

A GIS system is incomplete without access to large quantities of quality
data.

Thanks,

Gary