[OSGeo-Board] The stack - what is it?

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 9 22:51:11 PST 2006

This is great. Thanks. it gives me a lot of stuff to chase down and learn.

I'm pulling together a punch list of things to do because I would like the community to be able to tell us what things they want us to focus on in the first year and beyond. The highlights are captured on the wiki on the Mission page (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Mission):

Here's what is up on the Wiki today:

1) To provide resources for foundation projects - infrastructure, funding, legal, ...
2) To promote freely available geodata - free software is useless without data (Public Geospatial Data Project)
3) To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial industry (not just foundation software) - PR, training, outreach, ...
4) To encourage the implementation of open standards and standards-based interoperability in foundation projects.
5) To ensure a high degree of quality in foundation projects in order to build and preserve the foundation "brand".
6) To make foundation and related software more accessible to end users - binary "stack" builds, cross package documentation, etc.
7) To provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via curriculum development, outreach, and support (Core Curriculum Project).
8) To encourage communication and cooperation between OSGeo communities. ie. Java/C tribes, *NIX/Windows, international
9) To operate an annual OSGeo Conference, possibly in cooperation with related efforts (ie. EOGEO).
10) To award the Sol Katz award for service to the OSGeo community.

Progress Report from where I sit:

1) Infrastructure: up and running. ready to take on projects. MapGuide went up quite easily. Developers already using it.
2) Funding: initial money provided. More available. Need to have a proven funding process (non-ADSK) in place by the sixth month as proof that we can be self-sustaining, in my mind, and non-ADSK money being provided by month 10. This is important for clear independence, which is important for everyone, including Autodesk.
3) PR: We're doing OK so far given what we are doing. Training: not started. Outreach: ad hoc. Committees being formed.
4) So far so good, though I think in terms of having an effect or influencing, the outreach needs to be developed.
5) Ad hoc. The brand is under development. Unclear how quality is to be measured.
6) We are just now starting to talk about the stack.
7) Not started. Committee formed?
8) Encourage communication between OSGeo communities: no information about this, though having an OSGeo seems to help.
9) Operate the annual conference. This is in 4 months, yes? Unclear where we are on this.
10) We have not discussed this. I assume the timing of this is related to 9)?

Please give me feedback: do I have the current status of 1) - 10) right? Also, let's list who we think are the "owners" of 1) - 10) tommorrow.

On 6), it feels to me like a good service OSGeo might provide is to build something like FWTools in combination with something like this: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html, as well as PostGIS, tested and delivered on Linux, OS X, and Windows. Does this make sense  to others?

What is the success of FWTools to date? # downloads? # list members? #committers? Should it be an OSGeo project?

Gary