[OSGeo-Board] about OSGeo Goals

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 23 07:45:57 PST 2006

Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In the "OSGeo Goals" at https://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html
>
> The following items are bulleted
>
> * To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial industry
> (not just foundation software) - PR, training, outreach, ...
>
> * Promotion and Visibility Committee
>
> maybe "Promotion and Visibility Committee" should be in parenthesis without
> being bulleted.

Venka,

Absolutely correct.  DanielB, will you fix that up?

I would actually like to see us "cleanup" the Goals list a bit at some
point, removing the brief example/explanatory text at the end of the
points in favor of a short paragraph about each goal.

> About outreach activities, probably one of the activities that could be
> considered is an online journal or magazine that could be made available
> under Free document or similar licence. Maybe a popular magazine format
> would be better.
>
> Presently, the GRASS community is publishing a newsletter and maybe some
> others in the OSGEO community are also publishing their own newsletter.
> If such efforts could be combined, it maybe possible to start a OSGEO
> magazine without much effort and money. Maybe Markus can discuss with
> the people who are bringing out the GRASS news letter if they are
> interested in combining efforts with others to bring out an expanded
> OSGEO magazine. OSGEO magazine can server as a forum for reporting
> recent developments and research, country reports, etc. OSGEO magazine
> could
> also server as a advertising media for OSGEO related companies. Maybe
> company sponsors can be given free advertising space in the magazine.

I think an online "OSGeo Magazine" that rolls up the effort of several
existing newsletter efforts would be a great idea.  Printing it and
soliciting paid advertising would require quite a bit higher level of
rigour, expense and risk.  Possibly some free advertising could be a
benefit of OSGeo's Sponsorship program.