[OSGeo-Board] Re: [VisCom] Re: OSGF at Where 2.0

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu May 4 11:40:45 PDT 2006

I wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > I'm sorry, the next time such a decision comes up
> > I'll leave more time for feedback.
>
> It's understandable though, we're still feeling
> our way through this.  We're going to keep bumping
> into issues like this where the board makes
> decisions that overlap the mandate of
> committees like VisCom.
>
> Delegate...delegate, remember, you want to make the board
> irrelevant, right? ;)  [referring to your blog]

Maybe this is a topic/issue that the board could discuss at its next meeting.  Could the board clarify when it expects to make decisions vs. when committees can or should be.  E.g. when a conference or speaking opportunity comes up.

You could even help clarify what the board expects from members and individuals who have opportunities to represent OSGeo.  I use the term "expect" very purposefully, because (like it or not) members will _feel_ that board members have a very important role to play in leading us and won't want to step on their toes.

Currently, I just defer to the board or VisCom if I think it's a big opportunitiy and should be handled by someone formally associated with the foundation.  But, in fact, all our members are formally associated so my approach may not be that rational - especially if we want to retain a level of grassroots involvement.  If members perceive that the board does all the talking, then will start to think they shouldn't even volunteer to.

I guess the ultimate issue is: how to minimise falling back on the formal/legal board structure as much as possible.

Am I off in right field or is this resonating with you?  Something that you can discuss?  Perhaps you already have and I missed it.

Tyler