[VisCom] OSGeo tag line pre-selction

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon May 15 12:22:54 PDT 2006

> Just so no one is surprised, VisCom made a decision last week to use
> "The Open Source Geospatial Foundation" as an interim tagline in order
> to meet production deadlines for banners and signage at Where 2.0.
>
> And after looking at the list of entries and thinking about it, I
> thinkit would make a simple but sensible permanent tagline.

Interesting idea Peter.

I was hoping that a tagline could help add some 'catchy-ness' and 'dynamic' to the name of the foundation.  I find that the name is so purely descriptive of the present state, that it does not lend much to forward vision or enthusiasm.  But I'm willing to accept that this could just be me :)

I could live with your suggestion though, as I can see that having the name, the domain name and a different slogan can make things more confusing.  In essence, "OSGeo" would become the name and "The Open Source Geospatial Foundation" would be the tagline.  Makes sense to me.  Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Tyler