[OSGeo-Board] FW: LDCM and OSGeo input

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Tue May 16 19:57:57 PDT 2006

Ned and fellow board members,

I'd certainly support this.  I'd suggest we put it out for quick
comment on discuss, prepare a letter for the board, put it on the
agenda for the next board meeting, discuss and approve.  I've added
it to the agenda for this Friday's board meeting.  If there are any
concerns or issues that arise from the discuss list or fellow board
members we can discuss and/or defer until they are resolved.

Ned, it would expedite things if you could draft the letter for the
board.

comments?

Mark

On May 16, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Ned Horning wrote:

> [...]
> to have
> limited usability because they are not always reinterpretable. A
> more robust
> form of ground data are geocoded ground-level photographs.
> Photographic data
> contain a greater amount of information than textual descriptions
> alone and
> can be reexamined and reinterpreted as needed.
>
> Since 1993, the American Museum of Natural History's (AMNH) Center for
> Biodiversity and Conservation (CBC) has been working locally and
> internationally with conservation professionals and governmental and
> non-governmental agencies to foster a greater interest and capacity
> for
> applying remote sensing techniques to the conservation and
> management of
> biodiversity by 1) expanding scientific research on diverse species in
> critical ecosystems; 2) strengthening the quality and quantity of
> scientific
> data used to inform conservation strategies and public policy; 3)
> building
> professional and institutional capacity; and 4) contributing to the
> Museum's
> efforts to heighten public understanding and stewardship of
> biodiversity.
> Through these efforts and a diverse network of individual,
> institutional,
> and organizational collaborators, the American Museum of Natural
> History's
> Center for Biodiversity and Conservation is uniquely positioned to
> represent
> the conservation community and make a considerable contribution to the
> Landsat Data Continuity Mission's (LDCM) objectives.
>
> We propose a new initiative focused on improving access to
> complementary
> resources vital for accurate analysis of land use/land cover change
> with the
> goal of increasing the use and interoperability of Landsat image
> data with
> historic, current, and future remotely sensed data for the purpose of
> ecosystems monitoring.
>
> To accomplish this goal we will:
> 1.	Develop an Internet-based interactive archive and complementary
> desktop tools for the acquisition, visualization, and distribution of
> geocoded, ground-level photographs to support the interpretation,
> analysis,
> and validation of Landsat image data and their derived products,
> 2.	Implement and promote open data standards for the collection,
> storage, and distribution of data within the scope of LDCM objectives
> 3.	Promote, distribute and develop additional free resources and tools
> pertaining to the use and integration of Landsat image data with other
> remotely sensed image data for LULCC analysis,
> 4.	Encourage public involvement in the collection and stewardship of
> spatial data relevant LDCM objectives through citizen science

Mark Lucas

(321) 266-1475 (mobile)