[OSGeo-Board] OSGeo status regarding implementation of standards

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Fri Nov 3 13:52:02 PST 2006

Frank asked me to shop around an 'official position' for OSGeo to
release about our relation to standards, the original was:

 >> 'official position' - 'OSGeo serves as a testbed and safe space for
 >> standards prototype development', perhaps followed by something like
 >> 'in the hope that these community driven standards may grow in to full
 >> fledged OGC or W3C specifications'...

Paul, MPG, anyone else have thoughts on this?  I can do the work of
raising on the discuss list and making a board motion and all, though
I'm out all next week so it'll have to wait till I get back.

I for one am definitely happy to see this work go on in OSGeo, the exact
type of things that were happening at EOGEO, but with potentially a bit
wider audience.  But I want to be sure everyone knows we're not looking
to step on toes, we're just looking to 'get things done'.

Also I think it's good that you changed 'standard' to 'document' in the
spec Paul.

Chris