Legal contact

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 21 15:04:31 PST 2006

Hi all,
I had a good talk with Porter Merriman a few days ago and one issue
came up regarding contacting her, and others, that have been provided
to us through Autodesk.  As OSGeo moves forward, especially when we
retain our own particular contact in the future, it will be paramount
to have a gatekeeper for communicating to our legal rep.  It takes
substantial time and money to get advice and if (hypothetically
speaking) everyone on this list contacted counsel independently, we
would wear out our welcome or cost OSGeo substantially.  Also, I know
we all have our own particular legal questions that might be of
interest to us or our projects, but may not be seen as priorities for
the organisation (i.e. blessed by the board).  It can be a fine line,
but doesn't necessarily have to be if we nail down a process.

I don't mind helping funnel requests but I don't know how/why/when
I'd assess what are valid requests or not.  I'd like to put this back
to the board to provide guidance on.  Perhaps the board itself can
agree to discuss any legal-related questions first and then agree,
together, to send the question for more advice.  If you want me to
help guard the gate, then I would redirect anything not already
discussed by the board, back to the board for consideration.  But if
it's been discussed then I could help pass on to Porter and others as
appropriate.

Any thoughts on this?

Tyler