[OSGeo-Board] Local chapters and their legal status

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 02:40:09 PDT 2006

On 10/1/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > if we should add the requirement onto all local chapters to
> > publish their legal status. This would help to understand how they
> Markus,
>
> I have modified the Chapter Guidelines to include "legal form (incorporated?)"
> in the list of information that should be included in the information that
> should be submitted to the board.
>
> """
> "OSGeo Chapter" should submit an official expression of interest to form a
> chapter to the OSGeo board, listing initial members, mission, representative,
> legal form (incorporated?) and other supporting information.
> """

Thanks for that.

> I'd suggest you contact the local chapter representatives to the board to
> ask them what their current legal form is.  They are listed at:
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Contacts

Done.
I have written to the chairs of the Chinese, Indian and Japanese
chapter. The officiality of the Brasil chapter isn't clear to me,
it is listed in the wiki but not on the www.osgeo.org site.

I'll report back once I receive the answers from the chapter
representatives.

> I will say that the Ottawa OSGeo chapter has no legal existence.  It is
> an informal meeting group.

OK.
thanks
Markus