[OSGeo-Board] Another open source geospatial initiative ?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Oct 12 03:06:01 PDT 2006

Hi,
yes, I know them and had a diversity of interesting discussion too :-).
Actually it does look a little like another initiative, but it is rather
small and they have some (imnsho) flaws in their governance structures.
They are one of the commercial service proivderd sponsoringthe Open Source
Park which runs under the flag of the OSGeo, so this maybe symbolizes
which dimension of initiative we are looking at. But they will be an
interesting resource for the German community.

I did post a link around regarding governance of this project some time
back. ESRI has bought a majority share of conterra and conterra is the
project lead of 52N, so this in a warped sense meand that ESRI is actually
into developing Open Source. This will be fun to sort out...

I will add some pictures of our OSGeo booth soon and write up a report but
this will take me a few days as I will be in non-connected ouback for a
few days.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

On Thu, October 12, 2006 04:48, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Do anyone of you know more about this 52 north entity.  Responding to the
> slashgeo.org posting (below) and osgeo discuss would help clear some air.
>
> I assume Arnulf knows about them?
>
> Tyler
>
> -----------------
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> | 52North: New Open Source Geospatial Initiative                     |
> |   from the how-obscure-press-release-can-be dept.                  |
> |   posted by Satri on Wednesday October 11, @10:53 (Open Source Comm|
> |   http://industry.slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/11/1319233     |
>
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Here's a part of the press release: [0]Ann Hitchcock writes "[...]
> 52°North is an open initiative that strives to advance the development of
> cutting edge open source geospatial software. The initial focii of the
> open source technology development are Sensor Web Enablement (SWE), Web
> Security and Digital Rights Management (DRM). The members anticipate that
> other streams of work will open up according to community direction.
> [...]" You can read the full press release below. Now, can anyone tell me
> if there is a relation between this initiave and the [1]Open Source
> Geospatial Foundation?
>
> This story continues at:
>     http://industry.slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/11/1319233
>
> Discuss this story at: