[OSGeo-info] press question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 30 10:00:06 PST 2006

Adena Schutzberg wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Just to be sure, this is public and
> quoteable/attributable to you as head OSGEO cheese?

Adena,

Actually, I'd rather you didn't quote that.  I used the word "we" several
times for stuff that isn't decided at all.  For instance, I wrote "we
don't want to take on a "standards process" as a part of our mission."
but that isn't really firmly established.  You may quote me on the following:

"""
This is not well understood internally yet.  On the one hand, I don't want
to take on a "standards process" as a part of our mission.  I am generally
pleased to have OGC, ISO, IETF, etc take on that role which is a hard one.
On the other hand, we have lots of folks on different projects interested in
establishing some defacto common approaches, which in some cases might later
be taken to a formal standards organization.

Whether we formalize this in any way is still open to debate.  There are
those that would like to see OSGeo as a home for lightweight standards like
GeoRSS and tile spec standards.
"""

Being a very consensus oriented organization, I don't make policy and we
don't have any explicit policy yet.  I prefer to refer to myself as a
"figurehead" rather than "head cheese".