[OSGeo-Board] Re: [OSGeo-info] press question

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Mon Oct 30 14:06:30 PST 2006

Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear head cheese, and fellow more subsidiary cheeses,
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 01:00:06PM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Actually, I'd rather you didn't quote that.  I used the word "we" several
>> times for stuff that isn't decided at all.  For instance, I wrote "we
>> don't want to take on a "standards process" as a part of our mission."
>> but that isn't really firmly established.  You may quote me on the
>> following:
>
> Hm yes, this does sound like shoe-shuffling to me. It depends what you
> define as a "standards process" and what the outcome of it is. OSGeo
> projects are reference implementations for OGC standards and arguably
> inform what works and doesn't, influencing the standards process a lot
> through activities like OWS-N. There is a lot of weight of open
> standards wonks in the OSGeo membership and there have been a couple
> of yet-to-be-really fruitful, but active and participatory efforts at
> collective lightweight "standards" for data exchange where heavier
> standards are not addressing the problem space, or not addressing it
> in an implementor- and user- friendly way.
>
> While part of the mission is encouraging the adoption of open
> standards that should include encouraging their implementation both
> inside and outside OSGeo projects and that includes encouraging the
> implementation of "homegrown" standards like, as you say, GeoRSS. I
> think OSGeo could continue to have an increasingly valuable role to
> play as a testbed and safe space for standards prototype development
> and i definitely would not like to rule this out in public! :)

I definitely agree with this, but I'd still be hesitant to say we 'take
on a "standards process"' in public.  Saying we're a testbed and safe
space for standards prototype is much different, indeed if you say
you're doing standards processes then people will see it as competing
with OGC, W3C, ect.  I like the model of incubating with us and passing
off to one of the 'official' standards bodies.

I like that phrase a lot actually, perhaps that should be the 'official
position' - 'OSGeo serves as a testbed and safe space for standards
prototype development', perhaps followed by something like 'in the hope
that these community driven standards may grow in to full fledged OGC or
W3C specifications'...

Chris