[OSGeo-Board] infrastructure plans

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 04:15:33 PDT 2006

Hi,

this is a nice proposal! Here some suggestions/comments:

- Mapbender loss of archives: this is absolutely dangerous and
  must be avoided at least for other projects (copyright infringement
  issues, authorships etc are often commented therein)
- telascience.org: you may add "geodata processing" to the list of
  usages
- Drupal:
   - do we know anything about its scalability (many users)?
   - how to mirror it to other web sites (GRASS has 25+ mirrors worldwide)
- Hosting questions:  do we have cost scenarios for the hired staff
   (maybe I should know)
- automated smoke tests on telascience.org: do we have different
  operating systems there?

Infrastructure: please add
- telephone conference server (Asterix or YATE,..) to render communication
  free and improve sound quality
- a translation portal for software user messages (web based, e.g.
  rosetta/launchpad (still non-free, let's free it), KDE kartouche, ...)
- IRC CGI interface for all foundation projects to enable people behind
 firewalls to enter IRC (limit access to OSGeo related channels)

Best,
Markus

On 9/9/06, Tyler Mitchell <tylermitchell at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Jo and I have picked away at the attached migration plan.  It's not
> complete, but in order to have some time for you to consider it
> before the F2F meeting, I want to send it out.  There are some
> critical pieces missing, some of them for good reason and others just
> due to time limits on my part.
>
> Hope it is at least somewhat helpful for discussion purposes.
>
> Tyler

Open Source Geospatial Foundation
http://www.osgeo.org/
http://grass.osgeo.org/