[OSGeo-Edu] Edu committees policy on materials (was Re: [OSGeo-Edu] Informal request for association)

raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Tue Sep 19 08:48:29 PDT 2006

Ari Jolma wrote:

> In thinking about the other case I have a suggestion that we should
> concentrate on creating our own material, i.e., start projects, or more
> likely, to accept projects as OSGeo edu projects and put them into some
> kind of incubation. These projects should be appropriately licenced,
> hosted by OSGeo systems, and have a PSC and others who hack on it.
>
> Clearly this needs a decision, also a policy decision, in the edu
> committee and eventually in the board also.
>
> I think I want to be more a hacker than a referee who decides whether
> something should have a logo or not.

I generally agree with Ari. However Poulicos Prastacos
needs some decision fast and seems to be running out of
time. As I suggested at the Edu BoF in Luassane, maybe
we could consider asking Workshop presenters if they
would consider releasing their workshop material under
CC (preferred license for OSGeo Wiki). Maybe we initially
ask only about material related to OSGeo software projects.

I think that there were more than 10 workshops related
to OSGeo projects at Luasanne.

If the workshop presenters agree to release material under
CC, I think OSGeo can make the material available to
Poulicos Prastacos, maybe with an understanding that
material that Poulicos Prastacos's group would develop
for OSGeo projects should also be released under CC.

It would be good if concentrate on developing our own material.
Basically, I would tend to consider workshop/tutorial material
developed by OSGeo members for OSGeo software projects to be our "own"
material.Guess we have to find ways for making best use of
what is available and enhance and improve upon. Also identify
gaps to develop material that is not available.

Would also like the Edu Committee to consider bringing a
special issue of selected research papers presented at
FOSS4G2006. Having a published paper is an incentive
to many researchers (especially students) and the special
issue could showcase capabilities of OSGeo software projects.

Venka