[OSGeo-Board] Service Provider Directory

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Sep 26 15:43:09 PDT 2006

Ok - so let's try a specific example, that would happen to affect me, to
see how this would work.

So based on this argument - DM Solutions could list our new DMSG
Premiere commercial support service for MapGuide Open Source (because
it's based on the open source technology), but Autodesk couldn't list
MGE Subscription because it's a proprietary product based on MGOS.

Furthermore - Autodesk business partners who provide services around MGE
could not list their services, but DMSG business partners for DMSG
Premiere could list their services ... Sounds good to me :) but
seriously I really don't think this would be appropriate. In particular
I have very big concerns about OSGeo defining who is open source
friendly, and who is not.

This is just one example of a potential major problem with going down
this road.

You don't see an equivalent of this in the Apache Foundation -- likely
for precisely this reason.

Dave