[OSGeo-Board] Re: [Web Comm] RE: [OSGeo-Board] Service Provider Directory

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 27 13:27:23 PDT 2006

On 27-Sep-06, at 12:13 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> Arnulf wisely said:
>
>> I would like to add a locative component.
>
> Doh!  +1 to that...  I certainly wouldn't want to inadvertently
> hire any
> German- or Canadian-speaking outfits!

Are you saying we should capture more than the country and language
items that are already in the prototype?

> If someone can't even tacitly agree with
> OSGeo's mission statement, why would we give them any pixels on our
> domain at all?

Because we are more interested in our projects than just in the
organisation in general.  It is conceivable that a company cares a
lot about OSSIM, for example, but is ambivalent about OSGeo.  For
OSSIM's sake (and it's users) I want that company to sign up.

The section called "Technologies" lists OSGeo projects and asks
"which technologies do you support?".  That should be useful for
people looking for a service provider.  We can keep our list limited
to OSGeo-specific technologies to ensure applicability.

I think it is more important to connect those who need help with
those who can provide help, even if it is not perfect.  It's less
important to try to limit the pool of available resources to
something that meets our specific standards.

Tyler