[OSGeo-Board] Service Provider Directory

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Sep 28 18:23:43 PDT 2006

The main business need I see is the case where a user is waylaid by OSGeo and somehow decides that they want to persue open source (joke - no lynching) but doesn't know who to talk to.

If we're acting as a marketing organisation (and I think that's squarely in our mandate), we also need to be able to follow through on that marketing.  Quite a few intial users (speaking from experience) would daunted by the task of looking for consultants across multiple projects when they haven't even figured out what software they want yet.  I think that offering this service at the umbrella level will reduce duplicated effort, and will make it easier for users to transition into Open Source.

Another concern is that if we don't do it, I don't know if individual projects will.  Which will leave the majority of new users going to a high-profile consultant (such as DMSG) because they don't know that there may be someone close to them that speaks their language.  Either that, or our email lists being flooded with consultant requests :)

Jason