[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 18 16:14:22 PST 2007

On 18-Dec-07, at 12:00 PM, Jo Walsh wrote:
> In de-prioritising some of those things, it makes sense to defocus on
> those tasks which can or are being carried out by "volunteer" labour
> (Such as website development and maintenance, editorial work on the
> journal) or by separate budgets (work on the marketing plan and
> materials).

While still on my list of items to participate in and follow, many
projects are doing increasingly well with volunteer labour.  We have
more fresh blood managing Drupal, several new journal editors coming
on board (with a planned reorg. in the new year).  Also, the
marketing committee (which grew recently too) is managing their own
funds, with Arnulf and Jeroen specifically handling the marketing
plan and material development project.  I'd say that volunteerism has
improved a lot over the past 3-4 months and has a bright future to
continue improving.  In several ways my hand is still in the pot to
help use or direct outcomes from some of these efforts, mostly
through shared load with committees.

> Is there a standard
> access stats package running - through drupal or a standalone thing or
> even Google analytics?

We are currently running awstats, but there are some holes in the
logs unfortunately:
http://www.osgeo.org/awstats/awstats.pl?config=osgeo

How you gauge the other journal metrics, I am not sure.  But when I
see that over 100 writers have contributed content in only three
volumes, it is successfully engaging many people in our communities
and capturing information about projects, case studies, etc. that we
never had before.  The interest in academic circles is especially
strong and we use it as a way of engaging sponsors to share their
OSGeo stories as well.

> There are so many people who can speak convincingly for the OSGeo
> organisation and whose attendance would mean a lot in terms of honour
> and credibility for a local chapter...

A lot of great stuff like this is happening already, if you look for
it.  In most cases local groups are the ones inviting the speakers,
not us trying to impose who we think is best.  So I've basically made
myself available and in many cases simply came to present OSGeo when
requested.  In the end, several local groups or companies are
actively covering some travel expenses too, which was very encouraging.

>>>  likely enough I missed an email. Can you point me to an archive
> where the substance of these funding and strategy discussions with
> Autodesk was relayed to the Board, or to the Fundraising committee?

I've kept in regular touch with Ken about how much funding is
available and what kind of future funding plans they have.  I've also
presented him with our needs (e.g. budget) so he can communicate our
needs accordingly.  You know it all already, they've committed funds
for 2008 and plan to scale back funding after next year so they can
share the funding load more with others.  Also, I worked with Ken,
Gary and Laura to manage our bank accounts, etc. - all old news now,
but was important to get a handle on.

I'll leave the others points for the board to discuss, but just
wanted to clarify a few items.

Tyler