[Board] FOSSGIS?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Feb 7 00:16:35 PST 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> What is this FOSSGIS event that OSGeo appears to be presenting (if logo
> placement means anything):
>
>   http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Any why does it have practically the same name as the conference OSGeo
> *is* presenting?
>
> P.

Hey,
I am sorry if I gave the impression of being pissed of. I was. Its just that in the past year I personally have actively promoted OSGeo on 26 public events, some of them no more than 20 people. But some were real big and that was the FOSSGIS with 400 people and the Intergeo 2007 where several thousand people strolled by the OSGeo booth and grabbed several thousand flyers, brochures, etc. But every time I mention these things they seem to get ignored because - I don't know.

I tried to convey before that I do not think that the FOSS4G is going to be the one, big and only OSGeo conference but that it should be the one and only big *international* effort. There will always be local conferences and I hope that next year Portland is going to stand up and do what they proposed this year. Because it will take several years until the FOSS4G is going to come back to north America and you wouldn't want to stay without a conference and exhibition to promote you business that long - would you?

Regards, Arnulf.