[Board] maintenance after the changeover

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Jan 1 16:05:12 PST 2007

dear all,

I think my last mail about this got lost in transition...

I wanted to ask about our ongoing support arrangements for the website
and for general online services. I'm thinking of administrivia like
setting up of email aliases, adding accounts and permissions to
things, engagement sysadmin basically.

Is Shawn going to have time dedicated to the maintenance phase, or was
he only brought on for the build phase?

It doesn't make all that much sense that this should be taking up
Tyler's time, and if we fall into a pattern where Tyler is getting a
lot of administrivia requests by default, that's suboptimal - some
kind of abstraction would be of benefit.

I wanted to raise this here with the board rather than directly on the
SAC list where the People Who Care are gathered, because i am not sure
what kind of paid resources OSGeo will have available, to what extent
we can, or want to, get by with volunteer sysadmin, and it would be
great to get generate as much clarity as possible before asking a lot
of people what they might be prepared to do.

I hope this makes sense,

jo