[Board] OGC Relationship

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Sat Jan 6 03:59:04 PST 2007

I just woke up fretting my comments might have come across as too extreme, and I see indeed Gary saw them as such.  So let me try a different tack-

What I am trying to do is show that a "commitment" to OGC puts us on an ill-defined, slippery slope with respect to the future of our organization.  I am seeing terms like "pseudo-standard" and "offical standard", and I'm not sure these are well-defined at this point.  Consider the recent WMS-T work, the GeoRSS work (older, prior to OGC's involvement), and the GeoTIFF work (years ago now).  All three of these could very likely have been activities of the OSGeo community if begun in 2007 -- would such work have been acceptable in terms of the proposed commitment to OGC?

I do not want OSGeo to be an offical standards body set up like an ISO or an IETF, certainly.  But I would not want to get in the way of the next GeoRSS/WMS-T/GeoTIFF/whathaveyou, and indeed I'd like to see OSGeo play a big part in making it happen.  And if we could later get it "published" with OGC's imprint, so much the better for all parties in the GIS arena.

So, continuing on-

OGC does spec development very differently from the way OSGeo does/would, and so I'm not sure the idea of handing off a draft spec for OGC to approve makes sense [*under current, normal OGC processes*].  Would that entail having OGC's members and WGs be able to modify and vote to approve work that OSGeo's members and WGs already did?  Taking any degree of control out of the hands of the free-to-all-comers-and-lurkers OSGeo membership feels wrong to me.  [I pause to note that Raj's heart is in the right place here, and the MassMarketWG might become the exception to normal OGC processes.  But we don't know how that works yet.  Hence current discussion.]

OGC regularly passes specs upwards to ISO for what seems like thumbs-up/down, almost pro-forma approval.  I'm not sure how that process actually works, but might that be a model worth discussing?

-mpg