[Board] Re: Naming of several mailing lists

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 7 00:10:55 PST 2007

I agree your assessment Markus. What is the best way to change and improve this?  I'm sure Shawn could breeze through this somehow and make a batch of changes.

Just as a brief bit of background, the import process scripts for list archives used CN's subdomain + mailing list name to make everything unique.  Hence the "discuss" list that was managed by CN's "Mail" project/subdomain.  Obviously ones like Mapguide_user ended up being a bit more intuitive.

What is the best way to change/improve this?  Is mailman scriptable so we can make some bulk changes and re-send out subscription information?  From talking with Shawn it sounds like you create a new list, import the old lists archives, and then re-subscribe everyone.

Are the only problems that:
1) the address to send mail to changes (so people have to update address books, etc)
2) and the address it arrives from changes (so people need to update their filter rules where applicable).

Are there any other issues?
This renaming has come up in several forums, and there was one suggestion that "OSGeo" be part of list names as well.

What is the best way to address the overall problem?  Can someone put together a list of what the new list names could be and then we can debate it with list owners and/or SAC/WebCom?

Happy to help improve this - is there consensus to change and should a couple of us just put together a list for discussion and go from there?

Tyler