[Board] [Fwd: [Discuss] Letter of support for FGDC CAP grant]

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Wed Jan 17 10:53:35 PST 2007

Most of you have probably seen it on the discuss list, but I'm writing
for board approval for a letter of support from OSGeo to support an
application for a grant for FGDC money to work on GeoTools/uDig.  It's
probably a bit of a longshot, going up against proprietary software, but
I figured it's at least worth a shot.

I've gotten approval of a letter from the GeoTools PSC, as Frank's
recommendation was that they write the letter and the board approves it.
  The letter is attached, with a section in <<  >> that is for the
board's endorsement.  The grant is targeting more adding the WFS 1.1
capability to existing GIS software, that they get to include in their
next release (the only stipulation is they can't charge extra for the
capability - but they can charge for the upgrade to the latest release),
with the goal of impacting as many users as possible.  So I'm trying to
make a strong case that funding a generic component that others can
include in their software will ultimately impact more users than just
funding a few popular proprietary platforms.

So I put a bit of language in to emphasize that.  If the board isn't
comfortable making the statement I can tone it done, and will try to
refine the wording in the next couple days (I'm working on another grant
app today), but I wanted to send this out in time for the board to vote
on it at our meeting friday.

best regards,

Chris