[Board] Questions about "Local Chapter Sponsor"

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Thu Jan 18 05:52:34 PST 2007

Thanks for the correction, Dave

Dave McIlhagga wrote:
> Venka,
>
> Slight correction below:
>
> Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>>
>> Question1: What is "Sponsorship Selection" ? Could you tell me?
>
> BTW - on this note, I got a call from Paul Ramsey about sponsorship --
> Tyler are you involved in conference planning? It would be important to
> ensure Paul is aware of this for his conference.

Any suggestions Paul?
>> Question2: "Local Chapter Sponsor" desires be invited all event of
>> OSGeo both International and Local. What level of sponsorship
>> will ensure that "Local Chapter Sponsor" will be invited as
>> per their desire.
>> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.
>
> I think almost all OSGeo events are open to all -- so there should be no
> reason that "Local Chapter Sponsor" would not be invited to these
> events. The only exception to this is the "Sponsor Information Exchange
> Event" and "Sponsor Networking Event" that we have setup as exclusive
> opportunities for our OSGeo sponsors to meet with the Board of Directors
> / ED after the annual conference.

Maybe "Local Chapter Sponsors" could be invited for such events too.
Maybe it gives them a feeling to grow beyond "Local Chapter Sponsor" and
be an "OSGeo Sponsor". Think locally act globally, maybe.

> My feeling is that we need to be careful not to dilute the benefits we
> have setup for OSGeo sponsors. At the end of the day -- it is essential
> that in order for OSGeo to be sustained in the form it is today that we
> continue to sign-up OSGeo sponsors.

Sign-up OSGeo sponsors, off course. May be "Local Chapter Sponsor" could
be a starting point for eventually becoming "OSgeo Sponsor".

>> Question 3: Can "Local Chapter Sponsor" be listed as "Official Local
>> Chapter Sponsor" (with logo) on the OSGeo website.
>> My Answer: I am awaiting feed back from the board and Tyler.
>
> See above.

See above too.

>> I think that it is better to add a new category
>> "Local Chapter Sponsors" in
>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/sponsorship.html
>> based on the feedback to this mail and summary below
>> and help clarify things to people who would like
>> to sponsor local OSGeo chapter activities.
>
> This is a good idea. Perhaps we should have a statement indicating for
> those interested in supporting local OSGeo Chapters to contact these
> chapters directly.

And what would such a statement reflect? That OSGeo does want to be
bothered thinking about "Local Chapter Sponsors" or OSGeo cannot figure
out ways to handle "Local Chapter Sponsors"

Venka