[Board] Dec 06-Jan07 Executive Director Update

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 30 23:01:39 PST 2007

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Summary 15_12_06 to 30_01_07.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 33666 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Dear Board,
Please find attached a summary of journal since my last update Dec
15, 2006.  I've supplied a line item breakdown of major project areas
and secondary categories of the kinds of work I've been doing.

The following top four major categories of work give a give feel for
what I have accomplished during the latter half of December through
to today.

= Systems =
The most pressing event of 2006/2007 was the migration of OSGeo
infrastructure off of CollabNet and onto OSGeo managed hardware/
systems.  With the full time help of Shawn Barnes (donated time from
Autodesk) and Kanhaiya Kale (donated time from Frank Warmerdam), this
transition was a success.   The transition was relatively smooth and
because it was done during the quietest time of the year, it had
minimal impact on our operations.

I spent about 33% of my time working with them, particularly over
Christmas/New Years, to get content migrated and services set up.
This involved a wide variety of technical tasks including: setting up
mailing lists, archiving old content from CN site, setting up the
Drupal CMS, adding/creating custom components for the web site,
testing backup systems, meeting with the team and more.  The rest of
the team worked on these and more items as well.

The administration of these new systems and services has been
gradually moved over into the OSGeo System Administration Committee,
with some remaining web issues remaining for the Web Committee to
discuss later this week.

= Communications =
About 22% of my time has been spent responding to miscellaneous email
discussion threads and, in particular, dialoguing with the community
regarding the system migration changes.  This is general
communication about OSGeo to the outside world and to the membership-
at-large through email, blogs or IRC.  Some of this also bleeds into
the VisCom - Event Planning category below as well.

I had some interaction with the various pending local chapters
including Italian, French, Australia.  Also some communication with
Japan re: translation of website into Japanese.  These will be the
key to getting dedicated multi-lingual support on our website.

One notable item of communication was that of answering questions
from the Quantum GIS (QGIS) project steering committee.  Many have
been watching QGIS to see if it will seek to join OSGeo.  Last
November they held a community poll asking whether they should
approach OSGeo to become a member project.  Out of almost 300
entries, the results for 92% Yes or Maybe and 7% No.  Their PSC came
up with several questions, mainly around how project sponsorships
work.  I have addressed their questions and after some positive user
discussions it is highly likely they will be submitting an
application to the incubator.

I believe QGIS would be a great addition to OSGeo, tying into our
projects and others - they have successfully integrated PostGIS
editing, GDAL/OGR data access, GRASS tool access and are aiming to
integrate capabilities from OSSIM and improving an Export to
MapServer feature, for example.

= WebCom =
Around 17% of my time was spent on WebCom-related activities, mostly
associated with content migration but also including the development
of new Drupal features, adding new content, implementing language
translations, modifying site layout/design and more.

There are many new features about the new site, one important one was
getting all our sponsorship pages up and running, including a summary
of who are sponsors are.  News and Event tracking features were also
added and the process is greatly simplified from the previous
system.  At present I am the main contact for CMS-related issues,
though as capacity builds in SAC, WebCom and other volunteers I
expect this to decrease.

= VisCom - Event Planning =
About 10% of my time was spent helping organise various events
including FOSS4G and our presence at the Open Technology/DoD/OSGeo
Event, Location Intelligence conferences.  Discussion about Where 2.0
is also starting.

VisCom has made some progress on having a plan for the year for
events and required budget.  This has been outstanding for a while
but is back on the table.  The need to consider conference and other
events is never-ending, this could easily be a full-time job.  I
think it is safe to safe that VisCom could use more volunteers.  As
it is, I feel like it has been difficult to adequately help
international local chapters due to lack of time and the language
barrier. It would good to see VisCom better address our international
events better, but in my opinion, that likely won't happen unless we
have more volunteers come online.

Logos were delivered and various other branding design (i.e.
presentation templates) are coming in the next week or two.

= Other =
Notable tasks from the remaining 15% or so of time include:
-Review of insurance needs and solutions has begun, with helpful
input from other foundations
-Some review of 501c3 documents so far, no real progress
-Letter of support for Chris's project at TOPP
-Coordinating finances with Gary and Laura
-Posting of various sponsorship documents
-Coordinating marketing files for local chapter use
-Release of GRASS News v4 - with call for next newsletter to be
branded OSGeo News

I am happy with our progress, but it almost feels like I've been
solely focused on the infrastructure migration.  The interaction with
local chapters has been encouraging as the OSGeo vision continues to
take deep root around the world.  The top priorities now that
infrastructure is decreasing will be getting 501c3 and insurance
needs wrapped up.  As well, there are still some sponsorship
solicitation/fundraising initiatives to follow-up on.  Sponsorship
funds that have come in will be reported alongside other financial
reports once we've got those stats pulled together.

Hope you find this helpful and encouraging.
Sincerely,

Tyler

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director