[Board] Local chapters and (viral?) effect of OSGeo bylaws

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 31 14:12:04 PST 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi board,
>
> while digging a bit in the mud of conversation in the gfoss.it
> mailing list, two contrary positions could be worked out the
> last days concerning the formation of an Italian OSGeo chapter:
>
> (1) one group want companies and related to become members
>  of the upcoming Italian association
> (2) the other group wants individuals only (pointing out that companies
>  can act as sponsors
>
> Question: Does OSGeo.org impose that the bylaws of the local
> chapters are compliant to OSGeo? If not, would (1) be accepted
> in a local chapter as being contrary to the OSGeo Bylaws?

Markus,

I don't believe that our local chapter guidelines would force local
chapters to follow OSGeo's rules for membership.  I do think the board
should think twice about treating a corporate assocation as a local
chapter.  If that is the way it is going, we should be informed before
approving the chapter.