[Board] Collaborating with OSSI

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Tue Jul 17 14:11:48 PDT 2007

I've worked with John and the OSSI over the last several years as we
have tried to move OSS into US government circles.  John and the OSSI
have been instrumental in the progress that we have made - he is the
driving force behind the recent change in policy for the Department
of the Navy.  The end result was that open source software was
allowed out of the closet, recognized for its importance to the Navy
mission, and ultimately resulted in a dramatic policy shift.  They
are currently helping with the Open Technology Development efforts in
the Department of Defense.  His efforts are being sponsored by the
NSA and the Naval Research Lab as they break new ground in certifying
openSSL.

I think we have only begun to scratch the surface with geospatial
software in the US Federal Government.  John and the OSSI would be a
great partner to have in those efforts.  I'd highly recommend that we
establish a working relationship between the OSGEO and OSSI.  I'll
continue to focus on OTD and introducing OSGeo solutions into major
government programs.  I'm already working with John and OSSI on
several fronts and I think it would be to our mutual benefit to
formally work together.

Mark