[Board] Re: Statement of OSGeo Legal Support

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Nov 6 11:56:04 PST 2007

I think Cameron is still looking for more than many / most of us are
willing to provide.  I do not see a lot of utility in investigating
the subset of future issues we can imagine (ignoring, obviously, the
ones we cannot conceive of) when our actions at the time of decision
are going to be largely constrained by our known resource limits
anyways.

Would a non-statement statement clarify things at all? Frank has
already provided one. OSGeo will "do the best it can" to both protect
the licensing of projects (GPL defense) and the interests of
contributors (defense against suits) deciding on what resources to
provide and actions to take on a case-by-case basis.

OSGeo has already done as much as it can within the limits of project
flexibility (everyone is as unique as perfect snowflake) to provide
defense against suits, by mandating the provenance review and the
contribution guidelines as part of incubation.

I guess being a "Foundation" means there is a certain conflation of
purpose with other open source foundations, like OSI, FSF, Apache,
who have been largely established for legal purposes (Apache was
established at the insistence of IBM lawyers, after all).  Legal
stuff doesn't even show up in the main foundation description page:
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html

P.