[Board] FOSS4G Pricing / Location

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 16 11:18:46 PDT 2007

On 16-Oct-07, at 10:56 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> We delegated the question of FOSS4G as a revenue generator to the
> AGM and got ... what? out of that?
>
> The '09 RFP will be coming out soon, and if we don't provide
> direction, the status quo will prevail, which puts us locked into a
> particular scheme for two years.

My sense is that all people saw was the interaction between "revenue"
and "ticket price" and that, as long as they don't have to pay "too
much" to come, they didn't care whether the event was revenue
positive or not.

If we can help boil the question down to some tangible way of
addressing or quantifying what it means to be a revenue generator it
might help.  What kind of direction can be provided?  A revenue
generation goal (e.g. "Plan to raise $50k") or a ticket price goal
(e.g. "Keep ticket prices below $800") seem to be what is needed.

The status quo has basically been "keep costs low and break even".  I
guess that would need to be changed to "plan for a moderate positive
return of $X while keeping ticket prices around $X".  Then this puts
the challenge back to the bidders to be creative in finding ways to
be profitable.  I actually have a hunch that bidders would appreciate
the guidance.

Of course the other item is geographic - adjusting the process of
choosing where to host it.  I'll let someone else comment on how that
process might need to be address, because I have no bright ideas
except to leave it as an open bid still.  If they have revenue/price
targets and can seriously build trust in their bid then it might
naturally rise to the top in the bid selection process.

Tyler