[Board] Project Sponsors for Incubating Projects

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sat Apr 5 11:12:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, April 4, 2008 21:11, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Query:
>

> I wouldn't mind lining up some project sponsors for GEOS... we're
> still in incubation though: verboten?
>
> P.

Congratulations for finding sponsors.

I did not really like when it "happened" with GDAL. I still don't think it
is a good idea because it removes yet another argument why to graduate at
all. It can also put OSGeo in a strange situation if incubation shows that
the project is not feasible - for whichever reason. How can OSGeo provide
financial, organizational and legal support for a project that does not
comply with its rules and regulations? We could only provide legal advice
then (jump out the window or something along that line).

I will not make a motion to change existing practice but precedence or
not, I would vote -1 if we would reconsider this.

Regards,

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com