[Board] Sponsorship funding and value for money

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 8 06:21:38 PST 2008

I'm glad you wrote Frank -- as it saved me a bunch of typing. :)

So in addition to what Frank wrote - I'd just like to mention that
other than pro-active sponsorship activities (which I think we all
agree is a priority for 2008) we have achieved a heck of a lot in the
past year. Just the fantastic number of new local chapters is a major
achievement. We had a great event in Victoria (thanks Paul!) and
we're starting to get organized on the marketing front. We have
contracts out for GDAL work, we have a new reliable infrastructure
for our software (remember Collabnet anyone?) We've had projects
graduate from incubation and new projects enter incubation. In terms
of professionalism -- look at the difference between the first
"annual meeting" for OSGeo in Lausanne vs. our meeting this year.

I realize that all of these things happen because of volunteers --
but the coordination of all this activity was impossible for the
board to achieve before the ED role came into existence.

Having said all of this -- we do need to revisit our priorities on a
consistent basis - and relay this to Tyler in order to set his
priorities accordingly.

Personally - I think that if we can continue to grow what we have
achieved in 2007 during the course of 2008 + get 50-100k of new
sponsorship funding in the next year, we'll continue to be making big
strides forward.

Dave