[Board] wondering about short interest in proposals this year

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 28 14:00:53 PST 2008

I think part of what you saw this year was also the global community
recognising that Sydney could do a good job, so why compete, when
others can wait until the following year?

Four bids last year was great to see, but it's not that much fun to
have your bid rejected.  I suggest that next year, we have a brief
"letter of interest" phase prior to the full blown RFP.  Proposers
can then assess to what level they are willing to risk having their
RFP tossed out.  It also helps this committee know what's coming down
the pipe beforehand and it can help fuel competition between groups
who know they are "competing".

I'm sure there are other factors too and will leave it to others to
address those,
Tyler