[Board] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Conference policy

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Fri Jul 18 04:53:00 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 08:37:46AM +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> -0 Arnulf

Yes, -0 from me too currently. As it stands the policy introduces more
process to follow when making decisions, while not providing more of
a guideline in making the decisions than common-sense would dictate.

> I think we must rework this policy before we make it official - the way
> it sounds now it will scare away people who would otherwise have
> presented OSGeo in good faith - with or without commercial interest. It
> will also put quite a lot of additional load on the conference and board
> team.

I made a couple of small edits to remove some of the value-judgement
language. I am not sure where to go with the text from here - the
issue is deeper than procedure questions and needs to be discussed in
realtime/voice to move any further?

I have lost track of status during my last month in BabyWorld -
it seems like Paul and Jeff still want to proceed with an
OSGeo-branded event - the proposal is unchanged as of late May -
waiting on guidelines such as [1] to base a decision on?

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Official_OSGeo_Event_Policy#Policy

> Sorry that I seem to be incapable to communicate coherently.

Nonsense! :)

jo