[Board] Commercialize OSGeo?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Jun 2 03:55:34 PDT 2008

On Sun, June 1, 2008 13:57, Mark Lucas wrote:
> I think we all are probably in agreement that we don't want commercial
> control of OSGeo.  I think that it is probably necessary that we have broad
> commercial support if we really intend to put these technologies into
> play.  As you have said before, the next challenge is how to make a living
> promoting and supporting open source technologies.  We certainly don't
> want to be seen as 'anti-commercial'.
>
> Mark

When you search OSGeo Wiki with "anti-commercial" you end up on the page
"Free Software" http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Free_Software and there is a
bold "not". There is more:
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/%22Commercial_Software%22
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Business
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Commercial_Services
And I try to keep track of this kind of information here:
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Advocacy

I give FOSS Business Model talks and presentations whenever and where ever
I can (it is so spatially related, linked, networked and globalized...).
These days I sometimes already get paid (really well) for doing this job.
For OSGeo I do it all gratis. Maybe only because I am so deep in the
matter I strongly believe that we should keep OSGeo *out* of commercial
activities.

But thats only me and I have a growing sensation that I might miss the
point completely. I still wonder whether I should take the chance to
gracefully disappear from the board at the next election. This is not
coquetry but a request for honest opinion, off list if you like.

Regards, Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com