[Board] Commercialize OSGeo?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jun 2 12:14:02 PDT 2008

I'm not sure I understand why the rush to put these kinds of policies
in place -- by having the board as the "evaluator" of these proposals
- we're in a position to make a best decision we can based on the info
presented to us for one-of cases such as this OSGeo Teach-in. Once you
reach a point where you have a lot of demand for this -- that's really
the point at which you want to have a policy.

Maybe it's just me -- but it feels like we're putting the cart ahead
of the horse here ... trying to put a policy in place for a problem
we're not sure we have.

As it stands - we have a one-of-a-kind proposal in front of us that I
think we need to figure out if we support or not - either as is, or
with changes the proponents would be comfortable making.

If there is a policy to be made -- I'd suggest it be to define a
process by which third parties could make a proposal to work with
OSGeo (whether for a teach-in, information session, joint-promotional
activity, etc...) - and not simply restrict it to this one teach-in
concept.

Dave