[Board] One concern on obligations for OSGeo projects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 07:20:01 PDT 2008

jo at frot.org wrote:
> *However* there is the question of code copyright assignment. Some
> projects assign copyright to OSGeo via a formal legal contract.
> Other projects have AFAIK no *contract* with the OSGeo Corporation -
> they are "part of OSGeo" via a consensus decision.
> Does this make them legally subject to the same laws?

Jo,

Note that the projects generally only exist as a legal entity
in the sense that they are an officially recognised activity of
OSGeo.  So there is of course no one we could have a contract with.

> Yet we do need advice for the projects that are assigning
> their copyright directly to the Foundation (MapGuide, GeoTools).

I don't see that copyright assignment or contributions agreements really
changes the situation.

Ultimately if a project steering committee operated contrary to OSGeo's
legal obligations the board would eventually have to disavow them as an
OSGeo project.  Of course we aren't looking for trouble.